By Victoria Emma Pagán
- Tacitus is among the most vital Roman historians of his time, in addition to an exceptional literary stylist, whose paintings is characterised via his philosophy of human nature
- Encourages interdisciplinary dialogue meant to interact students past Classics together with philosophy, cultural experiences, political technology, and literature
- Showcases new theoretical methods that increase our knowing of this complicated author
- Clarifies and explains the notoriously tough language of Tacitus
- Written and designed to organize a brand new new release of students to envision for themselves the richness of Tacitean thought
- Includes contributions from a wide diversity of demonstrated foreign students and emerging stars within the field
Read or Download A Companion to Tacitus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best historical studies books
This ebook, the 3rd quantity of Donald Kelley’s enormous survey of Western historiography, covers the 20 th century, particularly Europe. As within the first volumes, the writer discusses ancient tools and ideas of every kind to supply an in depth map of ancient studying. the following he includes the survey ahead to our personal occasions, confronting without delay the demanding situations of postmodernism and ancient narrative.
America's slave prior is being analyzed as by no means ahead of, but it is still some of the most contentious concerns in U. S. reminiscence. lately, the tradition wars over the way in which that slavery is remembered and taught have reached a brand new crescendo. From the argument concerning the reveal of the accomplice flag over the nation residence in Columbia, South Carolina, to the dispute over Thomas Jefferson's courting together with his slave Sally Hemings and the continued debates approximately reparations, the questions develop ever extra pressing and more challenging.
Because the Nineteen Twenties, students have promoted a suite of manuscripts, lengthy deserted via Marx and Engels, to canonical prestige in booklet shape because the German Ideology, and specifically its 'first chapter,' often called 'I. Feuerbach. ' half one in every of this progressive examine relates intimately the political background during which those manuscripts have been editorially fabricated into versions and translations, in order that they may symbolize a tremendous exposition of Marx's 'theory of historical past.
The concept that of background displays at the presuppositions at the back of the modern knowing of heritage that regularly stay implicit and never spelled out. it's a critique of the fashionable knowing of historical past that provides it as common and teleological, steadily relocating ahead to an finish. even though few modern philosophers and historians continue the view that there's strict universality and teleology in background, the remnants of those positions nonetheless impact our knowing of heritage.
- The Issue with Antiquity. (History; Fiction or Science? Book 5)
- The Late Roman World and Its Historian: Interpreting Ammianus Marcellinus (Routledge Classical Monographs)
- L'écho de l'évènement: Du Moyen Âge à l'époque contemporaine (Interférences) (French Edition)
- Images of Kingship in Early Modern France: Louis XI in Political Thought, 1560-1789
- The Ethics of Memory in a Digital Age: Interrogating the Right to be Forgotten (Palgrave Macmillan Memory Studies)
- The Use and Abuse of History: Or How the Past is Taught to Children: Volume 130 (Routledge Classics)
Extra info for A Companion to Tacitus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Tacitus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Victoria Emma Pagán