By Robert M. Buffington,Eithne Luibhéid,Donna J. Guy
A international historical past of Sexuality presents a provocative, wide-ranging advent to the heritage of sexuality from the overdue eighteenth century to the current day.
- Explores what sexuality has intended within the daily lives of people during the last two hundred years
- Organized round 4 significant issues: the formation of sexual id, the rules of sexuality through societal norms, the legislation of sexuality through associations, and the intersection of sexuality with globalization
- Examines the subject from a comparative, international viewpoint, with well-chosen case stories to light up the wider themes
- Includes interdisciplinary contributions from famous historians, sociologists, anthropologists, and sexuality stories scholars
- Introduces vital theoretical innovations in a transparent, available way
Read or Download A Global History of Sexuality: The Modern Era PDF
Similar historical studies books
This e-book, the 3rd quantity of Donald Kelley’s enormous survey of Western historiography, covers the 20th century, specifically Europe. As within the first volumes, the writer discusses ancient tools and ideas of every type to supply a close map of historic studying. the following he includes the survey ahead to our personal occasions, confronting without delay the demanding situations of postmodernism and old narrative.
America's slave previous is being analyzed as by no means ahead of, but it is still probably the most contentious matters in U. S. reminiscence. lately, the tradition wars over the way in which that slavery is remembered and taught have reached a brand new crescendo. From the argument in regards to the reveal of the accomplice flag over the kingdom residence in Columbia, South Carolina, to the dispute over Thomas Jefferson's courting together with his slave Sally Hemings and the continued debates approximately reparations, the questions develop ever extra pressing and tougher.
Because the Nineteen Twenties, students have promoted a suite of manuscripts, lengthy deserted by way of Marx and Engels, to canonical prestige in booklet shape because the German Ideology, and particularly its 'first chapter,' often called 'I. Feuerbach. ' half one in all this progressive learn relates intimately the political heritage in which those manuscripts have been editorially fabricated into variations and translations, in order that they may perhaps signify a major exposition of Marx's 'theory of heritage.
The concept that of historical past displays at the presuppositions in the back of the modern figuring out of historical past that regularly stay implicit and never spelled out. it's a critique of the trendy realizing of background that provides it as common and teleological, steadily relocating ahead to an finish. even if few modern philosophers and historians preserve the view that there's strict universality and teleology in heritage, the remnants of those positions nonetheless impact our knowing of historical past.
- Divergent Paths: Hegel in Marxism and Engelsism: 1
- Livius und der Leser: Narrative Strukturen in ab urbe condita (Zetemata) (German Edition)
- Historical Thinking (Critical Perspectives On The P)
- Studies in the Eighteenth Century (Heritage)
Additional info for A Global History of Sexuality: The Modern Era
A Global History of Sexuality: The Modern Era by Robert M. Buffington,Eithne Luibhéid,Donna J. Guy